Saturday, May 19, 2007

SENS have a date with the Lord, and his name is Stanley.

Okay, not the most brilliant headline I've ever come up with... Spent the afternoon with the radio on, listening to Dean and Gord calling game 5 while hanging shelves in the garage. I'm old school when it comes to hockey, and while I appreciate the game in HD and watch sports on TV all the time, there's something cool about hearing the guys setting up the scene and those 2 are among the best around.

After moving to Ottawa in the fall of 1994 I remember going to my first Senator game at the Corel Center. I sat in the 300 level, drank beer and ate 6 hot dogs. Ten years ago I watched them lose to Buffalo at the old Don Cherry's in Nepean and have been on the wagon ever since.

Most of you know I'm a Habs fan and always will be, but the Senators have been one of the most exciting teams to watch the last decade and I couldn't be any happier to cheer for them. I got to live out a lifelong dream this season by getting the gig as the Sens PA announcer and told a few golf tournament organizers back in January that I would be happy to emcee their event in the first week of June, but on the odd chance the Sens make it to the finals I would have to work if we had a home game.

They all laughed.

It's been a heck of a ride, from watching Spezza get booed off home ice to Gerber's bad start and to come full circle and hear the crowd chant "Alfie, Alfie, Alfie", the Senators, your Ottawa freakin Senators are going on a date with Lord Stanley. Congrats to Captain Alfredsson, who after seeing it all for the last decade with this franchise now leads his group into a place that he and all of us have dreamt about. When you look back on game 5 and where you were and what you did, please take a moment and say a quiet Go Sens Go for Elgin Alexander Fraser who left Sens fans today.

3 year old Elgin lost his battle with Cancer following today's game.

Yes, it is a magical season to be a Senators fan. Here's Elgin a few months ago visiting the Sens Mike Fisher at a practise.