Thursday, October 2, 2008

Stockholm day 1

Having never flown overseas before, jet lag is something I could never relate to and somewhat impossible to explain until you go through it. We left Ottawa at 5pm, arrived in Frankfurt at 6:30am (local time) but my watch says 1:30am Ottawa time. After a 3 hour layover we land in Stockholm. FYI - when they say not to plug a power bar into a multi use common area where other travellers are using their laptops, they mean it. I may have blown a fuse or 2 and scared the pants off some other folks at the airport when my power bar went KA-BLAM.

Tomorrow we start shooting some "off the ice" videos for Sens TV but spent the bulk of today playing tourist. Stockholm is like taking the Glebe, Westboro and Old Montreal and mixing it together. The city is beautiful and can be very expensive. I just ordered a burger and fries and it cost me $36! Okay, so it was a good burger and Sweden is known for their.....burgers? Tomorrow we'll be at the NHL open practise with both the Sens and Pens, then regular season kicks off this weekend from the Globe Arena.

Here are some pix from today:



The only reason why you need a digital camera with over 5 megapixels if you're planning on blowing up something like this and hanging it on the wall.






This is the Globe arena in Stockholm where all the NHL stuff is taking place this weekend. There's a shopping center next door and I walked right in and asked:

"Excuse me, where is the arena?" Apparently Swedes know how to be just as sarcastic as Canadians.




This is the view of center ice...I'll be announcing from the penalty box which is different from Scotiabank Place where I sit in the 400 level.









This was the last thing I expected to see in Stockholm.

By the way, swamp water tastes the same overseas...and if you don't know what that is, ask your kids.