Monday, February 15, 2010

Lucky Loonie...

The question I'm getting the most from back home is, "so what's it like working a game at the Olympics'?

It's amazing looking down at center ice and seeing the 5 rings. There's no downside, but player rosters are completely different from the NHL. When I saw the names for China today, I thought, "how the heck am I going to announce these?". Thankfully a very patient Chinese team rep sat with me, saying each name 5 or 6 times. The crowds are pumped regardless of who's playing. In the USA/China game most were cheering for the US, even VP Joe Biden was in the building. Team USA was hammering China and late in the third you couldn't help but hope that China would score. They eventually did and lost 12-1, but the goal was huge and the building erupted in cheers.



After our late game we got word that there would be a group photo with our crew after the game. I think the arena staff thought we would take one photo and leave, but 30 minutes later they almost had to drag us off. No sign of a lucky loonie in the ice, just the one lying on it.