Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New NHL Jerseys

There's been much discussion this week about the new NHL Jerseys unveiled by Sidney Crosby and company in Dallas.

Since I haven't had the chance to see one of these up close, let alone try one on, all I can comment on is how they look and for the most part I think they look okay. Granted my favorite dates back to the early 90's but to each their own.

If the Senators come out dressed as knights in shinning armour next season with a big logo in the center, is it really going to affect me? No. Will I run into a store and try one on, sure but pay over $400 for an authentic, that remains to be seen. (plus TGOR nation knows I would have to ask the wife first..)

I'm going to resist the temptation to slam the NHL for trying to come up with something new because regardless what comes out of the head office in New York fans will find something wrong with it. From a fan point of view what drives me crazy is players who don't come out during a 3 star selection during the regular season. For the few fans at Scotiabank Place who've stayed right until the end, it should be made mandatory by the league to get yourself out there, throw the promotional stick into the crowd, then go back to the lockeroom. I'll never know the emotion of playing in an NHL game, and can't imagine what it's like to lose in OT, but without the fans there is no NHL.